Dibra is a town
in the center of the district with the same name in Macedonia. It's on
the right shore of the river Drini Zi and its branch Radika, sorounded
by mountains of Velivar (2374 m ) and Kercin (2325 m ).
Dibra for the first time
was recorded on Ptolomeus chart (2nd century A.D.) with the name DEBRUS.
In the year 1502 Dibra was recognized as an important central city in that
region. In the year 1830-40 with aprox. 8400 inhabitants and 250 stores(shops),
the town was one of the most imporrtant economic centers of the internal
The town of Dibra was one of
strongholds againts different ocupators and has given exeptional help on
Albanian-Osman wars under the lidership of Scanderbeg. The town and its
soroundings have played an important role on the nacional movement of the
Albanian Union of Prizren. Here was held the Council of Dibra (November
1st 1878), which approved the Unions program.
On 1889 the Council of Dibra
was called, were was decided the joining with the Union of Peja. On the
year 1900 with the initiative of H.Vokrit the fist school in albanian
was opened. Dibra has given great help in theAntiosman Uprising of the
year 1912. Dibra's delegates toke place on The Nacionl Council of Vlora
(1912). Vehbi Agolli was selected as a secretary of first Albanian government
founded from that council.
The citizens of Dibra made a
great resistace against serb trops in the year 1912 and opposed the annexion
of these region under Serb kingdom. In september 1913 Dibra became the
main center of peoples Antiserb Uprising, which spread from Gjakova all
the way to Ohri.
Also in this section:
History Of Dibra
Photo Album (Dibra in Pictures)